The SparkFun Serial Enabled LCD Backpack allows you to control a parallel based LCD over a single-wire serial interface. The SerLCD backpack takes care of all the HD44780 commands allowing seamless integration with any micro that can communicate over a wide range of TTL serial baud rates. The SerLCD currently supports 16 and 20 character wide screens with 2 or 4 lines of display.
Communication with SerLCD requires 5V TTL serial at a default baud rate of 9600bps (8-N-1). You can adjust the baud to any standard rate between 2400 and 38400bps. The power, ground and RX pins are all broken out to a 3.5mm pitch screw terminal.
SerLCD has the ability to dim the backlight to conserve power if needed. There is also a potentiometer on the backpack to adjust the contrast.
Note: The SerLCD v2.5 Datasheet incorrectly identifies the PIC as a 16F688, when it’s actually a 16LF88. Sorry for blowing your mind.
- PIC 16LF88 utilizes onboard UART for greater communication accuracy
- Adjustable baud rates of 2400, 4800, 9600 (default), 14400, 19200 and 38400
- Operational Backspace
- Greater processing speed at 10MHz
- Incoming buffer stores up to 80 characters
- Backlight transistor can handle up to 1A
- Pulse width modulation of backlight allows direct control of backlight brightness and current consumption
- All surface mount design allows a backpack that is half the size of the original
- Faster boot-up time
- Boot-up display can be turned on/off via firmware
- User definable splash screen
Dimensions: 0.56" x 1.75"